This week our new ESOL students were involved in a racist incident where they called another boy a black monkey.
Both sets of parents came in to see me after I emailed home about the incident.
One dad was very upset and talked to me about how they were feeling since coming to NZ.
This made me aware that I need to start the ESOL group get-togethers immediately and not wait till next term.
I discussed with TH this and she will take the group tomorrow at 12 to get them together to talk about what they like and what they are finding challenging, what we can do to support them and what would make them feel more at home.
In an aim to find out if others are hurting them and get them to speak up.
Discussions with parents were very positive and grew my understanding of their needs.
This also led to a whole school discussion at assembly - if someone hurts you you need to let the classroom teacher know as soon as possible so it can be dealt with.
Clear anti-bullying messages need to go to the community.
No comments:
Post a Comment